Monday 21 November 2016

Her Wisdom - Ayala



I'm excited welcome TV presenter and musician Ayala to the Her Wisdom series, a beautiful voice and a beautiful outlook on life, this lady has some really thoughtful ideas and insight to share about wisdom, identity and staying healthy.  

How do you start your day? 
Tell us more about the first 3 things you have to do to get your day started?
OK Well, currently the first thing I do at 7.30am is jump out of bed and drag my body into the garden to flail my arms and legs around to a laptop screen with two lovely girl friends who are both living in our house with us at the moment!  We are doing the 'Insanity' exercise program (and I'm sure we do look insanely ridiculous to my neighbours!).  Next is breakfast and checking in with the man upstairs (God), as I chat over the things in my mind in my life with Him for the day and week ahead and search for some eternal perspective to keep me grounded and regain my sanity after the 'Insanity' is over lol.  Then I get stuck in to my day which is usually very full!

Share your favourite piece of wisdom and why it means something to you.
There's loads of great wisdom about... but one helpful thought that I believe in and find powerful to remember, which I came up with myself is this: Our greatest strengths and our greatest weaknesses are the same thing- just one managed well and the other mis-managed. We know we are all born with our varying character strengths (which we may or may not know and celebrate in ourselves), and if we manage them well, we can fly in life, but I believe that if we don't manage them well, on the flip side of these same coins we find our greatest weaknesses.  

What is your go to thing for comfort when it all gets too much?
If life is stressful and I have any time at the end of the day left before collapsing (often there isn't any in busier times), then I do like to loose myself in a good TV series! (a drama and definitely not my own TV show though ha ha!)

Who are the women that inspire you?
Frida Khalo most definitely with her passion and commitment to honesty through her art at any cost, Ella Fitzgerald for being the most incredible vocalist but also thriving and breaking important ground through both sexist and racist America in the 30's, 40's, 50.s and 60's. And any strong female leaders in any arena's who are working hard to right the wrongs that have been done against women for so many centuries in our ongoing emancipation from oppression by sexism.  Thank God, we don't need to think of it so much in day to day life nowadays, but it's still there and we must keep on evening things out until there are no glass ceilings left to break.

How do you see yourself and what makes up your sense of identity?  
There are many things that I can notice I am good at (and their flip sides!), and many things I am passionate about, but I try not to cling on to ideas about myself and rather just allow myself the permission to be whatever I am. That's an ongoing process!  I guess also a powerful tool that comes from believing in a higher power is believing that I have been purposefully made and therefore I am enough.  I try to keep my identity simple in that way. 

Do you have a favourite dish or recipe that makes you feel good?
Oohh, I love food. All good food!  Ha ha... and I love cooking, so it's hard to pick one. I'm not crazy about sweet things, so it would definitely be a savoury dish.  And I think breakfast is often my favourite meal.  When times are extremely busy and I'm eating on the fly, I at least try to make sure that we get a good, healing and life-giving breakfast in us which is different every day but a recurring favourite is organic eggs with a load of organic Spinach and Kale and maybe mushrooms sauteed with loads of lovely spices with all their great healing properties- we love ground Turmeric, Cinnamon, Corriander and Cumin (with a little water if needed to make a kind of sauce over the veg), smothered in olive oil and pink himalayan salt on Sourdough Rye toast. YUM.

What's challenging you right now?
I think the biggest challenge for me right now is finding a way to successfully combine all the different metaphorical hats I wear work wise, and keeping up with my music amidst being a TV presenter and producer! There just aren't enough hours in the day.... 

Tell us more about your latest or next project.
We are beginning to work on series 3 of The Ayala Show, but only very early stages, so I'm taking the light relief and slight gap between series to focus a bit more on my music the next few months and get ready to launch my new album in the new year!  The album still sounds very British Alt-pop but is inspired by Mexican folk music and I've been particularly enjoying recording and writing trips to Mexico to nail the latin flavours.  Its a beautiful culture :)

You can find out more about Ayala's show by visiting her website or joining her Facebook page 
Share:

2 comments

  1. Fab interview Karen, I'm popping over to Ayala's website now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzie - so glad you liked it, I love her outlook on life!

      Delete

© Her Wisdom | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig